Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

David Bennetts wrote:

> The NSW Transport Minister Carl Scully has announced that trains will stop
> at 11.45 pm on New Years eve and resume at 12.15 am in the city underground
> area, probably quite a sensible idea if one is not sure about the
> reliability of power supply and signalling, particularly with underground
> stations.

What does "stop" actually mean? All trains stabled, or will just stop at the
first station they pass after 23.40 and leave the doors open?

>   He's more confident than me that they will resume at 12.15, if
> there's a bug about it will take more than 15 minutes to find it and fix it.

That shouldn't really be an issue. At worst they might have to reboot the
computers, which takes about 15 minutes.

What arrangements are in place for trains outside the metropolitan area? I'd
assume that everything would (or should) be refuged by 23.45 or thereabouts.

What contingencies are in place in the event of a partial or total
communications and/or signal failure? Will diesel locos be standing by in
case of a partial or total overhead failure?

Cheers
David