Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:21:58 +1100, David Bromage
<dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:

>David Bennetts wrote:
>>
>> The NSW Transport Minister Carl Scully has announced that trains will stop
>> at 11.45 pm on New Years eve and resume at 12.15 am in the city underground
>> area, probably quite a sensible idea if one is not sure about the
>> reliability of power supply and signalling, particularly with underground
>> stations.

>>   He's more confident than me that they will resume at 12.15, if
>> there's a bug about it will take more than 15 minutes to find it and fix it.

Not quite true - I know that the computers used by State Rail are much
more complex than PCs, but if the same principle applies to the Y2K
bug, stopping trains before midnight and starting them after midnight
may solve the probs.

In respect of desktop PCs, simple testing programs downloaded off the
net indicate that most PCs are not Y2K compatible, but if they are
turned off before midnight, then turned on after midnight, the
roll-over time will not be a problem.

the original greg h