Re: C.Dewick has a dummy spit! (was: do NOT, EVER, post messages containing HTML (was: "City Rail Security Guards"))

First of all, let me say that I do not post in HTML. I occasionally reply in
HTML, but only when the original is in HTML.

C. Dewick wrote in message <7nqg9a$1tv$1@lios.apana.org.au>...

>And the second half of it was a repeat of the first half, but in damn HTML!
>grrrr.. It's about time I reminded everyone about *NOT* posting messages
>with HTML content in newsgroups...

And who appointed you guardian of this newsgroup?

>Most of us don't look kindly on people who post messages to this newsgroup
>when the whole message is *repeated at the end* in bloody HTML! Do NOT EVER
>post news articles containing copies of the text in HTML please.

Gonna make us?

>It makes messages twice as large, harder to read, and very annoying to the
>majority of people who read news using text-based newsreaders. HTML makes
>normal text impossible to read...

So they should update. This is 1999 after all, and there are plenty of
newsreaders, available for free, which can read HTML. Why should some
posters be restricted from using the full capabilities available to them
purely and simply because some people prefer programs which are less
capable.

>If you want to post to newsgroups, which are a *text-based* medium, do
*NOT*

It is only a "test-based medium" because Usenet evolved at a time when that
was the norm. At the time, the whole of the internet was text-based. The web
evolved into a graphical medium, there is no reason why Usenet cannot evolve
into one as well (well, there is a reason, the pigheadedness of some of its
users).

>post messages containing copies of the actual text appended at the end in
>HTML. Most of us will ignore any HTML content.

So ignore it, and stop subjecting us to your tirades.

>Related to this, either configure your software properly so it doesn't
>include HTML in news articles, or get different software which works
>properly and doesn't irritate us with stuff we can't read outside of a
>web-browser's news reading window.

Why not get a newsreader that can handle HTML?

DaveP