Re: City Rail Security Guards

In <pgxm3.1570$gT.12423@ozemail.com.au> "Ian Larcher" <metalastic@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>Wouldn't it be far better for Cityrail to bite the bullet and get those
>other so called guards off their collective $#@%# and patrol the train?
>Most can't even be bothered to announce stations let alone do anything
>constructive towards improving security. By the way it's interesting to note
>how many Train Guards obviously have English as a second language- maybe
>Chubb has taken a leaf out of Cityrails book? As for PTU demands that these
>jobs be given to redundant staff- good idea. If they were prepared to have a
>go which seems unlikely- one only has to look at the currant std of service
>offered.

All this makes sense, but the whole Chubb contract is a political solution
to a nasty political problem. The fact that there was a blanket security
contract awarded stifled the opposition's complaints about the (apparently)
inadequate on-train security presence.

To be honest, I do not see what we (speaking of CityRAil in general) should
have to provide security guards anyway. It's not our job to keep passengers
safe from other passengers - that's entirely the individual passengers
responsibility. All CityRail is required to do is provide a safe passage
infrastructure-wise.

The reason there are all these very isolated problems on the trains is
because of the changing cultures in our society, and has *nothing* at all to
do with the rail transport system. We move people from point to point - we
are *not* responsible for each passenger's personal safety from other
passengers.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport