Re: City Rail Security Guards

"C. Dewick" wrote:

In <7nibi8$a02$1@newsource.ihug.co.nz> "Greg" <gregg@spam.co.nz> writes:

>We move people from point to point - we
>>are *not* responsible for each passenger's personal safety from other
>>passengers.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Craig.

>u r simply a skilled worker...train driver....let some one else worry about
>the public....doesnt aussie have police? i suggest u get back in your cab
>and study your rule book instead.....

Rule book eh? Now that's a very interesting concept. If you feel that you
can do a better job than me, and you can instantly acquire and use the train
management knowledge that I've accumulated over 10 years of driving trains
(both freight and passenger), then come and do my job... Anyone can drive a
train, but not anyone can use the train management knowledge to act quickly
in an emergency to ensure safety of other crew and passengers, or to
diagnose and rectify (if possible) a fault on a train in the minimum ammount
of time.

I call myself a professional train driver because I *do* approach my job
with a professional attitude. I *do* care about the safe operation and
management of the trains I drive, and I *do* care about the passengers on my
trains.

But ultimately, I *cannot* be held responsible for the personal safety of
*every* passenger on *every* train I drive, nor can any of the train guards
who work on those trains with me, and nor can CityRail as an orgsanisation.
There is just no way possible to give every passenger 100 percent personal
safety when they are travelling on a public train which transports thousands
of people in any one day.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport

The "Train Guard" guards and looks after and protects the train. A train guard is NOT a security guard whos sole job is to look after the security of the passengers. Having said that if a passenger advises the train guard that something is wrong, must investigate.
(Back when we had guards on freight trains, how many passenger did they carry? I am not talking about mixed trains either.)

rgds