Re: novelist research - Sydney/Melbourne travel in 1939

"Frederick Compton" <frederick@keyworld.co.uk> wrote:

>> I think the Melbourne Express and the Melbourne Limited Express were two
>> different trains. The MLE was the all sleeper train connecting with the
>> Spirit, and the Melbourne Express connected with something else (the
>> Albury Express?).

>I will stick with the MLE then.  My traveller has just arrived from overseas
>and is tired!

In 1939, did they arrive by plane (extremely rare and expensive, e.g.
Pan Am Superclipper), where they would have had a sleeping berth, or
by boat (more likely), in which case ditto the sleeping berth, plus
the well-known "refreshing" aspects of a sea voyage.

Why are they tired?  Changing trains in the dark at Albury will make
them more tired!

Geoff Lambert