Re: novelist research - Sydney/Melbourne travel in 1939

By air, the hypothetical passenger would most likely have flown out on
either an Imperial Airways or Qantas Empire Airways "Empire" class
flying boat (Shorts "C" class) and finished their journey in Sydney
(Rose Bay).

A sea passage, however would have most likely terminated in Melbourne
at Station Pier, as most of the mail steamers called first at
Fremantle, then Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:15:47 GMT, G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au (Geoff
Lambert) wrote:

>"Frederick Compton" <frederick@keyworld.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I think the Melbourne Express and the Melbourne Limited Express were two
>>> different trains. The MLE was the all sleeper train connecting with the
>>> Spirit, and the Melbourne Express connected with something else (the
>>> Albury Express?).
>
>>I will stick with the MLE then.  My traveller has just arrived from overseas
>>and is tired!
>
>In 1939, did they arrive by plane (extremely rare and expensive, e.g.
>Pan Am Superclipper), where they would have had a sleeping berth, or
>by boat (more likely), in which case ditto the sleeping berth, plus
>the well-known "refreshing" aspects of a sea voyage.
>
>Why are they tired?  Changing trains in the dark at Albury will make
>them more tired!
>
>Geoff Lambert

If you feel that you must email me, please replace "3891" with "royboy"

Roy Wilke