Re: novelist research - Sydney/Melbourne travel in 1939

> In 1939, did they arrive by plane (extremely rare and expensive, e.g.
> Pan Am Superclipper), where they would have had a sleeping berth, or
> by boat (more likely), in which case ditto the sleeping berth, plus
> the well-known "refreshing" aspects of a sea voyage.

They arrived by boat - I am also researching sailing schedules at the
moment.  Tired... well, it's not just the journey, but the situation:
fleeing Nazi Germany having been in danger for helping Jews.  By the way,
75% of the novel is based completely on fact, I am simply fictionalising
some of the details re. travel, names and locations where it is not
essential, and obviously putting a particular slant on it.  I was recently
in and around Berlin researching the concentration camp that is part of the
story - that visit was something worthwhile, but very hard to cope with.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments...
FPMC