Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

Matthew Geier wrote:

>  It would appear Cityrail's fears are not their computer systems or the
> signalling. The system can operate, abit slowly with out the supervisory
> computers and in a pinch the trains could run 'on sight' like a tramway,
> but if the electricity grid hickups, you have trains without power, in
> tunnels with minimal battery emergency lighting, and packed stations with
> minimal battery emergency lighting.

All trains have an absolute minimum of two hours emergency lighting batteries.
All tunnels have the same.

>  If Wynyard or Town Hall plunged into darkness with a crowed platform of
> party goers, of whom a significatant portion are intoxicated on various
> substances, ensuring paniced riot could claim a significant number of lives.

 The stations can also supply emergency lighting for a minimum of two hours.  In
short, nothing would "plunge" into darkness.  The only real danger would be the
escalators stopping.  I still say nothing so drastic will happen.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au