Re: Harris greasing car.

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Richard Ogilvie wrote:

> Matthew Geier wrote in message <7nlipt$l27$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au>...
> >
> > Hasnt Vline finally fitted carbon strips to their EMU pans like every one
> >else seems to do ?.
> > I would have thought that by now, enough of the fleet would be fitted with
> >the carbon strips that seperate lubrication of the wires would no longer be
> >needed.
>
> Melbourne has indeed gone the way of carbon contact pans. The 'Greaser' as
> it once was is now used for overhead inspections only - it's just that the
> name has stuck.

Rubbish!

Sorry to be picky, but I'm a little sick of people who don't know,
commenting on things, thinking that they do know.

The 'Greaser' currently consists of Harris motors 794M - 797M, and greases
the rails only (reduce rail wear on corners from Comeng trains).
The 'Overhead' car and D vans were withdrawn from the greasing train years
ago when carbon pans were introduced.
Further more the Greaser has never been operated by V/Line, (although
leasing V/Line locos in the early days), only the The Met and nowadays
Bayside Trains.

Gareth.

 Gareth Lumsden     s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au    glums112@yahoo.com
 Gareth's Railway Web Page        http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278