Re: Sydney Metro Bus Changes

>That is bull - the government have been trying to extend the pensioner
>ticket scheme for years to include private buses. The BCA (Bus and Coach
>Association) have dug their heels in, and have refused to co-operate. THis
>has necessitated the government mandating the change via regulation, and it
>will come in in 2002 (there is a necessary lad time for the provate
>companies to implement the changes - but 3 years? Oh well!)

I may stand corrected on this statement. I do recall some moves in recent years
to increase the $1 pensioner ticket to $2 and allow it to be used on private
buses, but the BCA wanted an unrealistic high fare reimbursements for the
passengers carried on these tickets.

>>The reason State Transit has large numbers of new buses is they don't buy
>them
>>themselves! Their new buses are bought by the State Government, instead of
>>coming from State Transit's revenue. (Private companies on the other hand
>>purchase vehicles out of their own profits).
>
>As does State Transit.

Can you provide proof of your comment? e.g. from annual reports which actually
show that vehicle purchases are made from their operating profits? (I won't
even mention the Community Service Obligation (CSO) payments which STA get that
private companies don't....)