Re: Sydney Metro Bus Changes

Ken wrote in message <19990727025614.28516.00003407@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>The government subsidises State Transit for the $1 pension tickets. I am
sure
>that most private companies would like to be able to offer the $1 pension
>tickets, but the government will not reimburse them as they do with State
>Transit.

That is bull - the government have been trying to extend the pensioner
ticket scheme for years to include private buses. The BCA (Bus and Coach
Association) have dug their heels in, and have refused to co-operate. THis
has necessitated the government mandating the change via regulation, and it
will come in in 2002 (there is a necessary lad time for the provate
companies to implement the changes - but 3 years? Oh well!)

>The reason State Transit has large numbers of new buses is they don't buy
them
>themselves! Their new buses are bought by the State Government, instead of
>coming from State Transit's revenue. (Private companies on the other hand
>purchase vehicles out of their own profits).

As does State Transit.

DaveP