Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

Iskandar Baharuddin wrote:
> You do not need infinite resources. You need to supply the
> resources people are prepared to pay for, and there is
> definitely a limit to that!
>
> Once again you are focusing on the people who commute from the
> suburbs to the CBD. This is a fraction of total work-related
> travel.

It's a fairly large fraction, though!

But no, I was thinking about how those multilane inter-suburb roads
around Sydney are so crowded, and how public transport for anything
except into the city is basically crap. My point was you needed to make
public transport on these journeys more attractive than driving for a
lot more people.

If I could offer you a form of transport that was clean, 10% slower than
driving, 30% cheaper, very close to as comfortable, and which got you
there in just as clean a condition, you would probably go for that form
of transport over driving; and save the car for the weekend. Problem is
that just doesn't exist, at least in Sydney, unless you want to go to
the CBD (and don't travel in peak hour).

> The solution to the CBD problem is quite simple: a fee on car
> parking spaces set at a level to achieve equilibrium between
> supply and demand for private car transport.

Compared to public transport, very few people drive into the CBD of
Sydney, to work. I'd suggest this equilibrium is pretty-much there.

--
Forg!                   -DUH#6=- (Y1)

"Flamin' heck; another Volvo Driver!"

"...