Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

Mark Scott wrote:

> Public Transport makes more sense than spending more money on cars in
> urban centres.
> If more people used Public Transport, the trip to work would be quicker as
> the road would have less people inside their petrol guzzling, asthma
> encouraging vehicles (which bump up the costs for the Health Department).
> The problem, especially in Qld, is that we have weak political leadership
> that is not prepared to tackle the transport issues that are facing
> Australian cities because they are not politically sound.
> The car lobby is too strong at the moment, and because of the ineptitude
> of town and traffic planners, they are stronger than they should be
> because in many instances there is no alternative to cars, especially for
> those living in poorer suburbs of Australia's cities.
> When we should be canvassing alternatives to cars, the Brisbane City
> Council is building a freeway through sites of significance for Brisbane's
> early colonial history, even though the experts feel that the road is a
> pile of crap, and should be built elsewhere.
>
> Another problem with public transport is the public's lack of knowledge of
> what's available.  I had to put up with an argument the other day from the
> former Mayor of Beaudesert saying that his daughter had to drive to uni
> because there was no decent public transport from the town of Beaudesert
> to the University of Queensland.  I was quick to point out the range of
> options they had (park and ride in a variety of places), which he had no
> response to.
>
> And please, don't label me as a greenie - didn't you know, everybody is a
> greenie these days?  Even Keith Williams, the developer of the
> Hinchinbrook Resort, says that he is a greenie!
>
> Mark Scott

Please stop repeating the standard litany.

How about some numbers? Do you have any idea of what the
fare-box ratio is for public transport?

Have you ever looked at the total cost of commuting?

Have you ever considered commuting other than to the CBD?

When was the last time you had a look at an O & D study?

There is no way that public transport can cope with even 25% of
journeys.

Some argue that this is because we left it too late to force
people onto public transport.

May be true - but we didn't and it is now impossible.

Find another crusade.

--
Regards,

Izzy