Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

Public Transport makes more sense than spending more money on cars in
urban centres.
If more people used Public Transport, the trip to work would be quicker as
the road would have less people inside their petrol guzzling, asthma
encouraging vehicles (which bump up the costs for the Health Department).
The problem, especially in Qld, is that we have weak political leadership
that is not prepared to tackle the transport issues that are facing
Australian cities because they are not politically sound.
The car lobby is too strong at the moment, and because of the ineptitude
of town and traffic planners, they are stronger than they should be
because in many instances there is no alternative to cars, especially for
those living in poorer suburbs of Australia's cities.
When we should be canvassing alternatives to cars, the Brisbane City
Council is building a freeway through sites of significance for Brisbane's
early colonial history, even though the experts feel that the road is a
pile of crap, and should be built elsewhere.

Another problem with public transport is the public's lack of knowledge of
what's available.  I had to put up with an argument the other day from the
former Mayor of Beaudesert saying that his daughter had to drive to uni
because there was no decent public transport from the town of Beaudesert
to the University of Queensland.  I was quick to point out the range of
options they had (park and ride in a variety of places), which he had no
response to.

And please, don't label me as a greenie - didn't you know, everybody is a
greenie these days?  Even Keith Williams, the developer of the
Hinchinbrook Resort, says that he is a greenie!

Mark Scott