Re: Steamfreight 99 - Hightlights and not-so-highlights

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:03:40 +1000, Craig Haber
<albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:

>G'day,
>
>General comments:
>
>This year there was more variety in train consists timetabled, with a block point
>to facilitiate more moves.  The drawback was that there was much shunting required
>to get those varied consists, so trains that took advantage of the block point
>often lost it by having to wait at home signals while shunting took place in the
>yards.  I guess that the quandry is that there's a trade-off, it's either
>1. more trains/less variety or
>2. more variety/less trains.

Last year it was 1. This year 2. Next year 1.5?? Complicated shunting
takes far too long. We have to provide variety but not at the expense
of the train running. It will be somewhat easier next time with an
extra steam loco to utilise.

>Regardless of the problems and late running etc, it was an enjoyable weekend with
>again photographic opportunities that are not normally possible.  The absence of
>the J class was not a huge drawback, the K, T, F and Derm were all utilised on a
>variety of trains, the weather was unfortunatly wet in parts (causing my electronic
>camera to go troppo after getting very wet during the night photography Sat night -
>it had come good by Sunday morning after drying out!), and very sunny at other
>stages (Sunday arvo after about 2pm).  Some gunzels were quick to throw stones when
>things went wrong - generally this was unfortunate and unnecessary.

Next time we will include the J and possibly move to an earlier time
of year to aim for better weather. Daylight saving would be fun but
fire risk would be a problem.

>On Saturday afternoon, K160 was 'converted' to K157, and ran with this number
>throughout Sunday.

What did the general gunzel think of this?

>This year there was much less trackside road traffic, a very good improvement on
>last year - one area which needs to be improved in this regard is the approach to
>the bridge from the Muckleford level crossing.  It's wide and grassy and perfect
>for driving on, I'd like to see it blocked off next year.  In general, there was
>less inconsiderate behaviour this year, and less raised temperatures!

Except towards out road block attendents. They copped heaps from irate
freeloaders (and some ticket holders that insisted on travelling by
car.) The track down to the creek bridge is the subject of a number of
ideas to make life easier for the train traveller and less so for the
carborne gunzel.

>The lineside 'shuttle bus' was well utilised.
>
>All in all, an exercise that no doubt took a lot of work, and despite the problems
>those involved at CMR should not be too discouraged, becuase we had a good time
>anyway!

Thanks for your comments. We are right on the limit of all our
resources for this weekend and everyone tried to make the weekend
enjoyable for everyone. We had a good time anyway, too.

Cheers

Krel

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

Waxy Wary Zany Zebu