Re: Steamfreight 99 - Hightlights and not-so-highlights

G'day,

General comments:

This year there was more variety in train consists timetabled, with a block point
to facilitiate more moves.  The drawback was that there was much shunting required
to get those varied consists, so trains that took advantage of the block point
often lost it by having to wait at home signals while shunting took place in the
yards.  I guess that the quandry is that there's a trade-off, it's either
1. more trains/less variety or
2. more variety/less trains.

Regardless of the problems and late running etc, it was an enjoyable weekend with
again photographic opportunities that are not normally possible.  The absence of
the J class was not a huge drawback, the K, T, F and Derm were all utilised on a
variety of trains, the weather was unfortunatly wet in parts (causing my electronic
camera to go troppo after getting very wet during the night photography Sat night -
it had come good by Sunday morning after drying out!), and very sunny at other
stages (Sunday arvo after about 2pm).  Some gunzels were quick to throw stones when
things went wrong - generally this was unfortunate and unnecessary.

On Saturday afternoon, K160 was 'converted' to K157, and ran with this number
throughout Sunday.

This year there was much less trackside road traffic, a very good improvement on
last year - one area which needs to be improved in this regard is the approach to
the bridge from the Muckleford level crossing.  It's wide and grassy and perfect
for driving on, I'd like to see it blocked off next year.  In general, there was
less inconsiderate behaviour this year, and less raised temperatures!

The lineside 'shuttle bus' was well utilised.

All in all, an exercise that no doubt took a lot of work, and despite the problems
those involved at CMR should not be too discouraged, becuase we had a good time
anyway!

Regards,
CH.
--