Re: Bayside Trains driver stood down.

MarkBau1 wrote:

> All very interesting but the start of this thread was your question as to how a
> train could have a green signal and the crossing is not working. Please tell me
> wheather every signal near a crossing in NSW works in conjunction with that
> crossing.

When the signal is Automatic, the boom gates operate by the track circuits and the
signal is clear when the track ahead is unoccupied.  At a controlled signal, the
boom gates will not operate if the signal is at stop.  When the signaller clears
the signal, IF a train is on the circuit, the signal will display a proceed
indication until the gates are down.  If there are no rains, the signal will clear
instantly.  The question I asked originally was in response to someone posting that
a train went through a signal showing a proceed indication, but the gates were not
down.  The only way I can see this happening is a failure of the track circuits to
detect the train.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard