Re: STANCHION:

Staunch: adj. : characterised by firmness or steadfastness

Is this not the function of the pieces of infrastructure in question?

I have also seen this spelling in official circles. Could we attribute this
incrongruency to the american bastardisation of the english language?
This sounds logical to me, as they seem to like dropping U's (favourite,
colour, etc). How many of you who argue it's spelled "stanchion" also use the
spelling "jail"?

Homer