Re: Suggestions for Brisbane and QR Citytrain

In article <OH0j3.1$MG6.88@news0.optus.net.au>,
  "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:
> >How about extending the wires to Gatton or even Toowoomba.
>
> On the current alignment, it would take twice as long as a bus (oops,
I mean
> coach).
>
> Not much point really.

I disagree.  I used to use the Helidon service intermittently,
and sometimes even the Toowoomba - Ipswich railcar which until
1993 used to leave Toowoomba at about 2:40PM on Sunday afternoons.
My recollection is that the Helidon to Ipswich section of the
journey was only around 20 minutes slower than McCafferty's over
the same distance.  The only problem with electrification to
Gatton is the Little Liverpool range - and if you can overcome
the heritage objections to dropping the floors of the tunnels
a Gatton service would be competitive if you used 140Km/h IMUs
and express running - remember that the 2000 class railcars are
limited to 80, and are VERY slow climing any grade.  The rest of
the line is fast - long flat straight sections of dual track
with minimal grades.

To me, the ideal service would separate the Ipswich - Rosewood
local from Roma St - Gatton express services.  I suggest something
like an express (IMU or ICE), running Roma St - Corinda - Ipswich -
Rosewood, then all stations to Gatton.  At Ipswich connect with
an Ipswich to Rosewood local (EMU), leaving a couple of minutes
after the express and stopping all stations Thomas St to Rosewood.
This would reduce the unacceptably long Roma St - Rosewood
timing we have today, and provide a Laidley / Gatton service
which would easily compete with buses.  Also, remember that much
of the population served by that line is nowhere near the
Warrego Highway - Laidley and Forest Hill are well off it, and
even Gatton is bypassed and the buses have to use the old highway.

Returning to the original topic of this thread, my own preferences
for a better Brisbane system are:

1.  Extend Gold Coast line from Robina to Coolangatta / Tweed,
    duplicate line south of Ormeau and add extra intermediate
    stations (locations to be determined by public submissions),
    to be used only by LOCAL services Beenleigh - Coolangatta.
    Trains from Brisbane continue to stop only at the current
    stations.

2.  Light Rail, Helensvale and Robina to the coastal strip,
    Labrador to Coolangatta.  (There is actually a proposal
    by Gold Coast City Council to implement this)

3.  Electrification west of Rosewood, Little Liverpool Range
    deviation, (longer term) new crossing of Toowoomba Range.

4.  Sunshine Coast line as proposed by Beattie Government,
    Beerwah - Caloundra - Maroochydore.  (longer term) returning
    to Nambour as a loop line.

5.  Re-open and electrify Caboolture - Wamuran, extend Caboolture
    service so that one in two continues to Wamuran and the
    other continues to Landsborough.

6.  Re-open, re-align and electrify (possibly as Light Rail)
    the Bethania to Jimboomba section of the Beaudesert branch,
    providing either a Jimboomba - Beenleigh or Jimboomba -
    Woodridge local service.

7.  Build the Kippa-Ring line (yeah, right!, but the right of
    way exists and has to be useful for something.)

8.  Extend Brisbane Light Rail system to Springwood via the
    South East Transit busway.  Also, extend Brisbane Light
    Rail to Uni of Queensland from West end.

9.  Light Rail conversion of Eagle Junction - Doomben, possibly
    extending to Pinkenba.

10. Dual Gauge conversion and electrification of interstate
    line to Greenbank and (eventually) Bromelton, serving
    the suburbs of Acacia Ridge, Parkinson, Browns Plains,
    Forestdale, Hillcrest, Boronia Height and Greenbank.
    Extension beyond Greenbank would serve new residential
    areas emerging at Teviot Downs, Flagstone and Bromelton
    as well as providing an suburban service within reasonable
    distance of Beaudesert.

I think the first four items I mention have a reasonable
chance of happening within 20 years, as for the rest ..
I think I'm dreaming.

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colingw<AT>foxboro.com.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/