Re: Suggestions for Brisbane and QR Citytrain

There would be very little point in electrfiying beyond Rosewood until a
deviation is built over the Little Liverpool Range. This is for two reasons:

1. The present line over the LLR is unsuitable for electrification and long
term a deviation needs to be built anyway.

2. Small population between Rosewood and Grandchester.

The best option would be to build the deviation as double track and then
electrify to Helidon. In the process of doing this, concrete sleepers and
60kg/m rail would be laid west of Ipswich so that high speed/ heavy loading is
possible.

When complete, IMUs or even tilt trains could run between Roma Street and
Helidon with a bus connection to Toowomba. Running time would be (approx):

Roma Street to:

Ipswich (stopping at Indooropilly,  Corinda, Redbank) 30 mins

Rosewood (express) 45 mins

Gatton 65 mins

Helidon 80 mins

This would meet with a bus connection to Toowoomba. This would be quicker than
a bus as it takes approx 2 hrs. Longer term new line up main range and operate
160 km - 200 km hr trains on line.

As for North Coast, duplicate present section to Landsborough, extensive
deviation between Landsborough and Yandina and then duplicate to Nambour and
longer term Gympie North. Major problem at moment is alll the crossings that
trains make on this section. No point duplicating north of Landsborugh until
deviations are built to ease curves, esp. around Nambour, where many 40 km/h
restrictions apply.>