Re: Suggestions for Brisbane and QR Citytrain

Bill McNiven wrote in message <4AZi3.1145$r61.8539@ozemail.com.au>...
>I don't see any proposals for the Cleveland line, which presently goes in a
>large and slow circle through Manly so that Central - Cleveland takes about
>an hour by train (and about 20 minutes on a good day by car).
>
>Suggestions:
>
>1 Rebuild the Belmont Shire Tramway from Norman Park, with stations as
>before at Seven Hills, Mount Bruce, City View, Mayfield Road, Carina,
>Springfield and Belmont.

This would be an extremely expensive and politically unpopular thing to do
(the current line between Norman Park and Morningside isn't exactly popular
with local residents - their roars of anger would be heard on the Moon if a
government suggested resurrecting the Belmont Shire Tramway). For a start,
you're suggesting that a suburban railway line - with 25,000 volt overhead
lines - be laid in the middle of more than one main road (Skyline Drive, and
Old Cleveland Road) in the inner-city suburbs.

The line would run through the middle of a bowling green and through the
middle of a primary school - I can just see the headlines now.

>2 Extend this through to Cleveland.  Stations at Capalaba West (opportunity
>for a major bus interchange), Capalaba (the shopping centre), and Alexandra
>Hills.  Rejoin the existing Cleveland line at the former Barinia.

Where the hell is "barinia"?

You know, I think Jim Elder likes being Deputy Premier - something he can
only be if he's the sitting MLA for his electorate (Capalaba) - your
suggestion would ensure that he would be the *ex* - MLA for Capalaba.

>3 Reopen the former line from the present Cleveland (formerly Raby Bay) to
>Cleveland Central and the previous Cleveland.

Umm, there's a major shopping centre about to be built on that land - are
you suggesting that the trains run through the Manchester department of
David Jones?

>4 Extend the line to Dunwich (with a possible intermediate station at Peel
>Island).

Now this is just being stupid. You're suggesting that QR build a
six-kilometre long bridge across one of the worst stretches of water in
Australia? And where in Dunwich would you put the station? Hmm? On the
football field? Or are you suggesting that the people of Dunwich just do
without the oldest European cemetery in Queensland just so they can have a
railway station? Having a business that operates on Stradbroke, I can tell
you that a railway connection to the mainland is the absolute last thing
that island needs for many, many reasons.