Re: Suggestions for Brisbane and QR Citytrain

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:28:22 +1000, "FRISCÉ Theatre Co. (Bryan
Cullis)" <rabonzo@primus.com.au> wrote:

>CABOOLTURE LINE

>** Open a new station in Kallangur of the same name.

Probably better to build a "Murrumba Downs" Station on the (infamous)
Kippa-Ring (Redcliffe) line -- see below.

>** Construct a line to Kippa Ring with stations at Murrumba Downs, Mango
>Hill and Kippa Ring.

Yeah, sure -- been waiting for that for over 100 years!  Nonetheless
(and if money was no option) I would go underground for about 800-1000
meters further than the planned terminus to be directly underneath the
Peninsula Fair shopping centre.

Should also have Kippa-Ring West second last -- it is a fair distance
between Kippa-Ring and Mango Hill, with two schools and a growing
housing precinct in the area.

>** Move Strathpine station to the current site of Bray Park.
>
>** Rename current Strathpine station to "Brendale".

Strathpine Station is well-known (by locals and passers at least) for
the Westfield Shoppingtown complex located in, by chance, Strathpine.
Also, the current Strathpine station is much closer this shopping
complex than the current Bray Park is.  Furthermore, the station is
*just* out of being in Strathpine, as the boundary for
Strathpine/Brendale is on the eastern side of the line.

>** Open a new station in Fitzgibbon of the same name.

That has been on the drawing boards for a few years.

>SHORNCLIFFE LINE:
>
>** Open a new station in Boondall named "South Boondall".

I agree with this.  Seeing other's posts about this and the alleged
problem of 'too many Boondalls', how about "North Nudgee"??? :-)

>DOOMBEN-PINKENBA LINE:
>
>** Reopen stations in Pinkenba, Meeandah and Airport (as a temporary station
>until Airtrain is completed.

Definitely not worth it if only temporary until the Airtrain Citylink
(Airport) line opens.  I don't think many airline passengers would
take to the idea of getting off at Bunour or Meeandah (currently just
run-down platforms wwith nothing else but a very weathered fence) then
trekking over several kilometres of Army land to get there!  I find
the easiest way to currently get to the airport from train is to
detrain at Eagle Junction and catch a taxi from there.

Opening the line for very early morning and afternoon worker services
I think is a good idea though, for all those working in this big
industrial area.

>BEENLEIGH-GOLD COAST LINE:

>** Extend the Robina line to Koala Park with stations at South Robina,
>Stephens, Andrews, Reedy Creek, West Burleigh and Burleigh Heads (Koala
>Park).

When Robina was opened the then-in-power Coalition government at the
opening announced that the extension to Coolangatta has been approved
and will go ahead.  Of course the government has changed since then,
as too -- no doubt -- that idea!

I believe that the line should go to the Coolangatta Airport.

>Once again, feedback is welcome.  But do I really need to invite feedback?

Nah... this is a newsgroup remember, a rail newsgroup furthermore, and
full of gunzels! ;-)