Re: West Coast Rail looking for new locos?

In article <931620144.159145@woody.hotkey.net.au> "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:
>From: "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au>
>Subject: Re: West Coast Rail looking for new locos?
>Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:18:42 +1000

>>Equally they are great for sitting back and listening to B61 powering
>along. Us
>>diesel fans enjoy that experience very much. I'm afraid I can't get hooked
>on steam
>>as some others because it was not around in my area of growing up. I only
>saw four
>>days of real western (Ararat-Serviceton) steam railway before it was back
>to the
>>sparks and electric locos of Box Hill. But good luck with your R.
>>
>I must admit, I feel the same way in that I grew up without steam engines
>and prefer diesels and electrics. Having now ridden behind R711 though, I
>can see why people get excited, it is certainly something to behold.

I am one who never saw a steam loco in regular service so I know what you mean.
However in my mind diesels and electrics aren't at all special. They do a job
and do it well, but steam has something that is different and not just that
they aren't in regular service either.

Dave Malcolm