Re: West Coast Rail looking for new locos?

>Money well spent, wish they would run it Nth [east] one day

Took a trip down to Warrnambool today to go for a ride behind the R. I must
say $10 for a ride from Warrnambool is excellent value, it's a pity more
people didn't take advantage of it although I did hear that publicity could
have been more extensive. Oh well, no doubt the 7 people (or thereabouts)
who rode it Monday afternoon told all their friends because this morning's
service had a decent turn up although would have only been about somewhere
between 70 and 100 people including kids. Apparently some are disappointed
because they had planned for 200 a train (seats provided, number of tickets
printed for each service). However, if nothing else, the public relations
value would have been excellent. Despite the fact that they had been running
for 4 days, I still saw most heads turning for a prolonged look. Plus there
were no shortage of takers for a look through the cab! Or photographers or
video camera operators either.

The R sounds excellent although Warrnambool to Terang didn't sound as though
it overly taxed it. The BK cars are a unique experience in themselves with
their low deep seats and it has been a while that I have watched the track
pass by through the bottom of the toilet! Brought back many memories of
catching the train to visit relatives in Bendigo. The lack of heating with
today's weather made me glad I had brought my coat (although didn't stop me
opening the window). Overall an excellent trip which made up for the 5am
start!

To be honest, I can now see why people get excited about steam in a way they
don't about diesels. I am sure many of those 3,4 and 5 year olds first
memories of a train will be their ride today and their stint in the cab...

Just for interest sake though, why did WCR buy the BK cars? They surely
can't hope to only use them for this sort of thing, they would see hardly
any use. As for other cars, there were plenty in Warrnambool yard to choose
from so I doubt there is a shortage of cars. They obviously don't intend to
use them in regular service, they are nowhere near the standard required and
would require quite some modification to get them there. The unique label on
the carriages 'Excursion' also belie this. Any ideas (or better still,
what's the deal, Mr. Haber)?