Re: Ingliston Bank landmark distances please!

Graham Fry wrote in message <3785E9D5.7725@sydpcug.org.au>...
>David Bromage wrote:
>>
>> Roderick Smith wrote:
>> > AFAIK Bill Abbott has published Rs achieving 1900 hp (even 2000 once?).
>> > 1500 kW is close enough to 2000 kW.
>>
>> When R707 worked a regular Albury pass some years ago, I calculated
1900hp
>> up Heathcote Bank (on the up working). But the crew really mortgaged the
>> boiler to do it. It's lucky it was all down hill to Broadmeadows or they
>> might have been in trouble.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>But that is where a good steam loco and top driver/fireman could get
>exceptional performance out of steam loco. They would build up for a
>high power efforts up banks by having the boiler very full and at full
>boiler pressure at the bottom of the bank. Once into the bank turn off
>one injector and let her rip. If you were skilled enough the boiler
>would have a enough stored energy to get you over the bank at high speed
>. Once over the top the boiler can then recover.

snip

Great when it comes off; embarassing when it doesn't. Nothing worse than
firing a loco going full tilt uphill and watch both pressure and water go
down, arrive within sight of crest, and realise that tipping over top will
uncover crown sheet. Nothing for it but to stop short of top, regain
pressure and water, usually to accompaniment of razzing by any cognescenti
around, and there are usually lots of them these days.

It happens now. It happened then.