Re: Ghan times suffering in the Alice lately.?

In article <VWfh3.33$u72.436978@news0.optus.net.au> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:
>From: "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com>
>Subject: Re: Ghan times suffering in the Alice lately.?
>Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 05:40:05 GMT

>Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>>Also in relation to the Ghan , I was looking at GSRs fares for this service
>>and noticed some oddities, for example the 1st class fare from Melb to AP
>is
>>$895 but the 1st class fare from AP to Melb is $795 , ie its dearer to
>travel
>>from Melb to AP than from AP to Melb.
>>All the other fares for this route have the same differances although the
>>differances are smaller.

>Melbourne to Alice Springs, you are on the train for two nights - Alice
>Springs to Melbourne, you are only on it for one (lloks like GSR are
>perpetuating the railway charging regime, rather than charging for the
>journey).

I could possibly understand that there may be increased costs for passengers
who have sleepers , in that their beds need to be made up twice , but not for
sitting class passengers, whats it matter if you are travelling day or night,
the total journey time is the same.

MD