Ghan times suffering in the Alice lately.?

I posted some time ago in this group that since the
GSR/NRC Ghan's, you could almost set you watch by the
advertised arrival times up here.

But since the Melbourne and Sydney Ghans, the arrival
times in the Alice have degraded.  OK, we are pretty
laid back up here, this ain't suburbia, who cares if
things are a bit late, no big deal.

The Ghan arrived today 9/7/99 at 1255 hours, must be
frustrating for GSR, who have the task of cleaning,
restocking, unloading and loading motorail on a train
the size of the Ghan and then expect time recovery on
the way back.  No doubt NRC and their drivers will do
their bit with help from the Port Augusta Train
Controllers, but maybe these extended Ghan services
need a more generous timetable.

Any thoughts.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>