Re: Ghan times suffering in the Alice lately.?

In article <379b7262.8261048@news.ozemail.com.au> telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes:
>From: telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
>Subject: Ghan times suffering in the Alice lately.?
>Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:54:17 GMT

>I posted some time ago in this group that since the
>GSR/NRC Ghan's, you could almost set you watch by the
>advertised arrival times up here.

>But since the Melbourne and Sydney Ghans, the arrival
>times in the Alice have degraded.  OK, we are pretty
>laid back up here, this ain't suburbia, who cares if
>things are a bit late, no big deal.

>The Ghan arrived today 9/7/99 at 1255 hours, must be
>frustrating for GSR, who have the task of cleaning,
>restocking, unloading and loading motorail on a train
>the size of the Ghan and then expect time recovery on
>the way back.  No doubt NRC and their drivers will do
>their bit with help from the Port Augusta Train
>Controllers, but maybe these extended Ghan services
>need a more generous timetable.

>Any thoughts.

>----Terry Burton
><< remove OZ for Email reply.>>

Also in relation to the Ghan , I was looking at GSRs fares for this service
and noticed some oddities, for example the 1st class fare from Melb to AP is
$895 but the 1st class fare from AP to Melb is $795 , ie its dearer to travel
from Melb to AP than from AP to Melb.
All the other fares for this route have the same differances although the
differances are smaller.

GSRs other routes though , ie AP to Sydney is as you would expect the same in
both directions as are their IP and Overland fares.

Anyone know why this is ?
Maybe theres something extra you get for travelling one way or its a plot by
the NT Govt to keep you in the NT.

cheers
MD