Re: More on airport lines

WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote in message ...
>Derick Wuen wrote in message <3781ce88.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>
>>Also, folks at Goulburn as opposed to the NIMBYs at Badgery's Ck and
>>Holdsworthy, actually want Sydney's second airport and suggest it would be
>>just as quick by Speedrail to Sydney as by snailrail from either of the
>>other two places.
>
>It would also be just as quick from centre of Sydney to centre of Melbourne
>by VFT/Speedrail compared with flying. I would also venture that the cost
of
>a VFT from Sunshine Coast - Brisbane - Gold Coast - Sydney - Canberra -
>Melbourne would not be that mush more than a second airport, and the
>consequent reductions in movements at Sydney airport (if the traffic
>transfers to rail, like it has in Europe) would mean that Sydney would not
>need a second airport.
>
>DaveP

There is a distinct danger of an outbreak of agreement here, O low viscosity
rendering from Cetacous mammalia etc, so let me stave that off by posing a
question about routes, which has brought the south-from-Canberra TGV to its
knees on previous occasions.

There are two choices

(1) up and expensively over the Brindabellas, well away from any real-estate
development opportunities, until approximately near current main south. At
this point, bean counters start talking about shared (by which they also
mean T not so GV) infrastructure all the way from say Wagga to Melbourne

(2) keep east of main ranges through Dalgety and skirt around bottom of
ranges in real estate paradise of Gippsland and into Melbourne via an
expensively resumed route.

Route 1 is relatively green, inexpensive on the public purse (I did say
relatively) and short, but short on real estate leverage; route 2 crosses
many abodes of lesser spotted whatevers and St. thingy's worts, is longer
and requires expensive right of way acquistions coming in to Melbourne from
the east. But its a real estate developers dream.

Route 2 is the stated preferred route of the previous effort, but there is
significant green, eastern suburbs landowner (read voter) and public finance
problems.

And either would have to get three governments to agree (Howard AND Kennett
AND Carr).

So although the boys in charge of the Liverpool & Manchester project (the
first high-speed intercity rail project ever) faced and overcame formidable
legal, administrative, financial, technical and vested interest
difficulties, its hard to see even that lot crashing through in this case.
And at this point no-one is even trying.