Re: Triangles

steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J  Sos/Melbourne AUS) wrote in
aus.rail:

>On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:52:00 +1000, "Peter J. Sweetten"
><aeropics@tig.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:
>
>>Heard from a former VLF employee today that FV is looking at creating
>>triangular junctions at North Bendigo, Echuca and Toolamba.=20
>
>Wasn't the rumour Inglewood and Nth Bendigo/Eaglehawk so that trains
>to/from Swan Hill &/or Echuca could go via Maryborough?
>
>Latest I heard was that Eaglehawk is shelved, and FV is still
>negotiating with landowners in Inglewood.
>
>>Does this
>>co-incide with with the long proposed single tracking of the Bendigo =
>line
>>which would then provide the new VLP owners with exclusive use of this
>>trackage?
>
>Both Mel - Ballarat and Mel - Bendigo could become pass-only lines.
>Regards

Why?

If you were ASR, or someother FV competitor, wouldn't you be rubbing
your hands together saying, "Beudy, with FV out of the way, we can run
our trains in competition to them, faster and cheaper than they can.
We will not be bothered by their trains taking priority over ours and
we don't need to pay for all that infrastructure".

Seems to me that with FV taking the longer route it would provide a
ready made opportunity for some enterprising bunch o'guys to take a
bit of traffic away from FV, or to introduce a different kind of
traffic that FV couldn't compete with.

Think of the possibilities, chaps!

Les Brown