Re: Triangles

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:27:54 GMT, pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>If you were ASR, or someother FV competitor, wouldn't you be rubbing
>your hands together saying, "Beudy, with FV out of the way, we can run
>our trains in competition to them, faster and cheaper than they can.

Cheaper?

You still have to *pay* FV their rail access charge for *any*
non-suburban line and NatExp pass trains would probably take priority
on the Bendigo line, especially if the line is singled north of
Kyneton.

>Seems to me that with FV taking the longer route it would provide a
>ready made opportunity for some enterprising bunch o'guys to take a
>bit of traffic away from FV, or to introduce a different kind of
>traffic that FV couldn't compete with.

A thread in this group walked this road before a month or two ago.
Eaglehawk - Maryborough is actually shorter via Inglewood than via
Castlemaine (ok there's only 1.5k or so difference), but it's also a
much flatter route "round the back").  I suspect Maryborough to
Geelong and thence to Tottenham is to become the FV "mainline".

I'd also suspect that the 5'3" will be a deterrent to new
invaders/entrants -- I believe FV won't be too interested in SGing too
much of their intrastate BG lines.  BG raises the bar just that extra
bit.