Re: Tonight's Railway Adventures episode- Get the REAL Facts regarding Victorian Episode.

Wombat wrote in message <7lmh1d$ih4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <377dccbd@nap-ns1>,
>  "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> This story is the biggest beat up I have ever heard!
>> Was anyone you know actually involved in the filming??
>>
>> The FACTS:
>> At all times a qualified driver was at the controls.
>> He either was standing a fraction behind Scott McGregor or beside
>him, just
>> out of camera shot.
>
>Hard to stand behind the Driver in a Railmotor. Some of the wide shots
>in the Cab show (IMHO) the the Driver was too far away from the
>controls if something untoward happened. That is not in control.

Where you actually present?
>> Further more when Scott McGregor sat in the driver's seat he was only
>do so
>> where there were no signalling , or safeworking involved.
>
>By "no signalling" does that include when driving across the Viaduct?
I never knew a viaduct was a signal
>and what about when he drove through the Track Gang? or drove along
>with his head hanging out the window. Sadly this has injured to many
>Drivers/Second Persons and should not be shown to encourage other
>people. And some of the SRHC people on the Film Trip should have known
>better (or did know better and chose to "forget")

Well then you would have to prosecute any passenger on puffing Billy for
doing the same.
>> The actual scenes where he was seemingly in control was for no more
>than 15
>> to 30 seconds.  These scenes were then spliced together to give the
>illusion
>> of Scott driving continuously.
>
>Which, still, does not make it right.

Get real it was editing!  It did not happen as it appeared.

>> How many times have you seen Politicians at the controls of a
>locomotive at
>> some special ceremony.
>
>Usually stationary and all the appropriate (sp?) people would have been
>advised well in advance.
I have an old video of the VR Commissioner driving the Southern Aurora out
of Albury in 1962- he was not an ex driver.
> What happened with this programm was kept very
>quiet and VLP found out 14 Months after the Filming Date.
>
>> I'd like to see some bureaucrat take action against
>> a Transport Minister or Premier for this.  An unknown actor is a soft
>> target.
>>
>> TV is illusion- it makes things appear that do not happen to be real.
>> I suppose some people really thought that Tom Criuse was flying an
>F14 in
>> 'Top Gun'!
>> Get the facts!!!!!!!
>>
>> Tonight shows Scott driving an Iron Ore train in the Pilbara.  So we
>all
>> should ring up the WA Dept of Mines expressing horror at the sight of
>Scott
>> Mc Gregor at the throttle of a 20000 tonne Ore Train.
>
>From what I saw, he was not.

Yes it was an illusion.

>> We have all gone a bit over the top these days.
>>

>It is the the alledged illusion that he is Driving that the DOI ect,
>are kicking up about and, as I said before, it will be all people
>wanting to use VLP as the "Operator" of a Special will pay the costs
>for SRHC's actions.

It may have been the SRHC's DERM, but they were not the operators nor the
drivers of the DERM.  It was hired out by the Film company with VLP as the
operators.
>--
>Wombat wuz 'ere!
>What eats roots & leaves?
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

The fact remains it WAS snappy editing that was used, and who do you know
that was there during the filming?

I have seen tapes of Paul Keating driving a BL at Dynon in 1995 whilst it
was MOVING with a driver showing the former PM what to touch to move the BL.

Lets all take a cold shower.