Rumours and News.

Gentlemen of the newsgroup,

We have recently had a posting regarding the supposed demise of a
private railway operation in Victoria and perhaps NSW. Respondents have
quite expectedly been hostile to some degree regarding the rumours and
branded them malicious. Whether the original posting was right or wrong,
I would like to think that the posting was the result of information
being received and then being posted for all to read. I reckon that it
is much better for the rumours to be posted here so that their
correctness or otherwise can be challenged rather than have them wander
around undercover and undetected. Undetected rumours can do untold
damage to the organisation that they are about and it surely is in their
interest to have them brought up and then buried if proved to be
unfounded. If they are proved wrong then it means that everyone can see
them for what they are and can take comfort in the knowledge that the
rumour has been nipped in the bud.

It probably equally applies to the various postings over the years
attacking the mental sanity and stability of various people who have
made a pronouncement that others take offence to. I'd rather have
rumours and innuendo about me, brought to the surface so that I could,
if I cared to, defend myself or my actions or opinions.

We all need broad shoulders and thick skins at times but equally we
should have the willingness to change our thoughts if we are proved to
be up the well known creek without the well known paddle.

David Langley.