UK Train Crash Manslaughter Case fails

In September 1997 a high speed train operated by Great Western Trains
crashed, killing 7 passengers and causing 10 million pounds damage.  The
London Daily Telegraph reports that Great Western Trains and the driver were
both charged with seven counts of manslaughter, but the case failed, the
Judge criticising MPs for inadequacies in the law which made prosecution
impossible.  The train was faulty as the AWC equipment was switched out, and
no second person was employed to compensate for the failure of this safety
device.  The driver was not paying sufficient attention as he was packing
his bag when the train ran a red signal.

Interesting, I wonder if the situation in the law would protect our
passengers against the negligence of a driver and/or operator if a similar
scenario developed in Australia.  With our multiplicity of state laws and
privatisation of our railways proceeding rapidly, have our pollies given the
matter a second thought?

Regards
David Bennetts
Canberra