Re: Flat Wheels in Sydney

Are you referring to track maintenance or service maintenance of the wheels
themselves. I was under the impression that Maintrain at Auburn carried out
all of the wheel maintenance and bogie exchange. Someone willing to throw a
little light on this, Dave?

--

Daniel

(Remove nospam for a reply)

Bob Horgan wrote in message <377B5710.6265B4B6@idx.com.au>...
>I have been told that "flat wheels" result from heavy braking which results
in
>rail to wheel
>friction. Poor maintenance is another factor to consider.
>
>Rob McKiernan wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I caught a suburban train from Newtown to the City recently and while
>> waiting for the train to arrive I noticed that just about every second
>> suburban that went past had a flat wheel and some trains more. The most I
>> counted was 4 on a Tangara. Nearly all of the G and V sets that passed
were
>> ok. The flat wheels were present on all types of suburban stock it seemd.
>> Can somebody out there tell me why this is so?. Is it bad driving or some
>> other mechanical explanation?. Is there any maintenace program for this
type
>> of fault?. I have travelled a bit on overseas systems (Rome, Paris,
London,