Flat Wheels in Sydney

Folks,
I caught a suburban train from Newtown to the City recently and while
waiting for the train to arrive I noticed that just about every second
suburban that went past had a flat wheel and some trains more. The most I
counted was 4 on a Tangara. Nearly all of the G and V sets that passed were
ok. The flat wheels were present on all types of suburban stock it seemd.
Can somebody out there tell me why this is so?. Is it bad driving or some
other mechanical explanation?. Is there any maintenace program for this type
of fault?. I have travelled a bit on overseas systems (Rome, Paris, London,
Washington etc) and it seems to be a uniquely Sydney problem. It's been a
while since I've travelled in Melbourne but I never heard the problem there.
Do other cities experience in Australia experience this problem?

Regards,
Rob