Re: V/Line "C" class

Living next to the railway line at Cheltenham I am able to observe all
types of diesel locomotives climbing the Beecroft Bank and I can truly say
that the NR Class are remarkable locomotives. They can lift a heavy train
from a standing start at the tonnage signal at Epping and be doing 80 KPH
by the time they pass Cheltenham. The 81 and 82 Class are not a patch on
the NR Class. Only multiple lash ups of 85 and 86 Class electrics might
have performed just as well but as you all know they have been banished
from the Short North.

Cheers

Rod Gayford

Krel  <krel4203@netconnect.com.au> wrote in article
<36986a65.5660855@news.netconnect.com.au>...

> From a railfans view C's were great. they sounded good and hauled big
> (for the time) trains at reasonable speeds (115km/h in NSW). From a
> drivers view they were a quantum leap (unless you lived in WA ;-)).
> These things could pull!!
> However, they were cold - especially around Yass in July and the ride
> was somewhat solid. In summer the airconditioner and fridge killed any
> conversation (too noisy).
>
> As for the NRs they are getting more and more reliable. Remember that
> there are 117 of them in service running 200,000-250,000km/year.
> Sooner or later they break down. They ride well (better on rough track
> than any loco previous in my experience). They have reasonable
> creature comforts - a quiet airconditioner, CD/radio, good cab heating
> and AN ELECTRIC FRIDGE!!!!!!!!!
>
> cheers
>
> Krel

> >>I wonder if we could get Goninan's or NRC admit just how many NRs are
out of
> >>traffic some days. From the grapevine I listen to quite a few.
> >
> >Dont go too hard on the NRs, after all there are a huge number of them ,
and
> >simply from a statistical viewpoint its reasonable to expect a few
failures
> >which in numerical terms will have more down than other classes.
> >Also remember that the NRs were the first loco in Australia to fit 4000
HP
> >into a 23 tonne axle load weight limitation , which is no mean feat.
> >Mind you , one could question whether it was a good idea to get
lightweight
> >4000 HP locos in the first place , although Westrail have done this also
with
> >their 21 tonne Q class.
> >It will be interesting to see if the Qs have the same teething problems
as the
> >NRs.
> >Its also interesting that AN didnt seem to have any problems with the
ELs.