Re: Very smoky XPT

David Bromage wrote:

> Michael Van Baast (vanbaast@NOSPAMacay.com.au) wrote:
> > David Bromage wrote:
> > >
> > > If the XPs are to get new engines, the smart thing would then be to built
> > > two extra, and a handful of extra cars and driving trailers and form 1+4
> > > sets as was proposed in 1979. What you need is a first class driving
> > > trailers with some luggage space, which I'll call an "XBC" because it's
> > > the most logical code. You then run XBC-XBR-XF-XFH-XP on the Dubbo
> > > service, except during peak season when you revert to 2+5.
> > >
> > > You also run 1+4 sets to Canberra and put the Xplorers on a new Riverina
> > > service (e.g. 7.30 up and 12.15 down Albury).
> > >
> > and the other 2 trains? (there are 3 services to canberra per day)
>
> Two new 1+4 XPT sets (with a single 2500hp engine) would run the Canberra
> services to the current timetable, maybe even a little faster.

how would they turn it at canberra? (run backwards from golburn! :) )

also what would be the viability (i think i may have asked this in
another message somewhere..) of selling all the XPT sets to somewhere
where they have worse trains than them and run all Xplorers, would they
be able to run in say an 8 car config with only 2 driving cars?
--
I Michael Van Baast       I