Re: Very smoky XPT

The answer is (D) all of the below. You would not have seen any V/Line loco as
smoky as this because they use GM engines and not Paxman. In the UK the
preserved Deltic locomotives perform this way as they don't get enough
"thrashing" as the poms call it. Here in NSW I have seen the loco used to
shunt the Delec wheel lathe end up the same way after many weeks sitting
idling and not working hard. This is usually fixed with a session on the load
box.
Cheers
Bob