Re: The stupidity of passengers.

mstrutt@newsmail.tafensw.edu.au wrote:>    Craig,

>         Most of the security guards I have seen around Sydney
>         are Anglos or from the Indian subcontinent rather than
>         middle eastern and thank Christ they are merely useless,
>         not dangerous like the replacements Craig would propose.

Agreed, 2 of them watched as I had to their work.

>         What is more of a problem is the Anglo Australian police
>         who now hang around blocking station entrances at rush
>         hour and harrassing rail travellers who's only crime is
>         youth and cheap clothes, especially in the Western Suburbs.

Yes but they LOOK guilty. Full marks for the coppers. Hunches usually bring results.

>         Dunno what the experience of rail workers might be, but
>         as a daily traveller on NSW trains for decades I have
>         *never* seen a really threatening incident initiated
>         by young people on trains (although if you feel threatened
>         by four letter words you might see it differently),

Train guard bashed by a group of leb teens at Auburn.
Gang of teen aborigines attacked and robbed 2 girls at Minto.
Woman raped on a Penrith bound train by a teenager.
gang of lebs trashed S set power car and tried to torch it (I was the guard)
want more?

>         however middle aged drunks on trains and police at
>         station entrances frequently generate confrontations.

drunks yes police no

>         (I'm currently working in St Leonards across from
>          RNS hospital and get to watch police hanging around
>          the station hassling junkies trying to get to the
>          methadone clinic).

Junkies are a major worry for us at state rail they cause trouble and are a danger to
the public (I don't care about them). The usuallyhave stolen goods on them which they
try to sell for money for their drugs after their methodone wares off.

>         IMHO SRA management is playing people like Craig *and*
>         the more timid passengers for suckers, feeding their
>         paranoia with guards,

Agreed. It is not as bad as what newspapers and other media would like us believe(for
sales).

> trains half blacked out, an
>         end to overnight services.

Disagree. If we leave all cars open "antisocial behaviour" occurs.

> As long as rail staff
>         blame passengers for lack of safety and passengers

We are only as good as the passsengers we carry

>         blame staff for deteriorating services noone is
>         blaming the real culprits. They've already got Craig
>         ready to accept privatisation and armed guards to
>         protect him from school kids.
>
>         A bit like our Premier of Criminal Cronies and Corrupt
>         Police blaming school kids with pen knives for crime
>         in NSW.

agreed

rgds