Locomotive Passenger Workings

Dear All,

I am planning a trip to New South Wales and Victoria and would like to know
where I can learn the following:-

1. Where can I get hold of a timetable listing all train services, local and
long distance sheduled services.
2. How do I tell which services are loco hauled and which are multiple
units?
3. Information on locomotive hauled passenger services, daily working
diagrams, etc.

Basically, I want to be able to land in Sydney or Melbourne and travel
behind as many loco hauled services as possible in the space of around 2
weeks before heading back to the UK, For example, I have just come back from
a trip to Germany wherewe had the diagrams for locomotives working off
serveral depots which listed every train the loco worked during the day,
from point A to B and then which diagram it should be on the day after. In 5
days and nights I managed to travel behind 164 locomotives that I required
for haulage.

In the UK there is a publication for enthusiasts called European Report
which relies solely on sightings by rail enthusiasts and individuals making
trips to foreign countries to obtain locomotive diagrams for that particular
country. But unfortunately information for the rest of the world is scarcer
due to the costs involved in travelling such large distances.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Damian Clement