Re: Peterborough Railway Station(slightly vandalised)

In article <mauried.157.368C66D5@commslab.gov.au> mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) writes:
>From: mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly)
>Subject: Re: Peterborough Railway Station(slightly vandalised)
>Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 06:10:29 GMT

>In article <76hbs7$alv$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> "David Proctor" <daproc.spambait@umpires.com> writes:
>>From: "David Proctor" <daproc.spambait@umpires.com>
>>Subject: Re: Peterborough Railway Station(slightly vandalised)
>>Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:26:25 +1100

>>dirtcircuitvideos wrote in message <01be3517$a29a6560$LocalHost@default>...

>>>The Authorities responsible for this Station should
>>>be made aware of the shocking damage being done
>>>to Electric switch gear and the Interior of the Office
>>>Block.

>>GSR are not going to do anything for a station that is only used four (soon
>>to be six) times a week.

>>DaveP

>I dont think thats what the original poster asked .
>GSR dont own the station , the real question is who does ?
>I suspect possibly the SA Dept of Transport or worse still the Federal Dept of
>Transport.
>The same question could also be asked of all the other derelict stations in
>country SA like Tailem Bend , Murray Bridge and Bordertown.
>Its quite possible that the above organizations dont know they own any
>stations.The sale of AN to ASR and the transfer of the track to ARTC didnt
>include things like stations .

>I suspect that a question of the local member may be the only way to get some
>answers.

>MD

Further on this thread a bit, the above problem reveals one of the
fundamental flaws of horizontal integration , ie where railways are run by a
variety of differant organizations each with a differant viewpoint.
GSR are a private train operator who run passenger trains,but own no stations
or locomotives, only rolling stock.
They lease one station namely Keswick.
Its understandable why they want SG facilites at Adelaides Central Station ,
then they wouldnt need to lease any stations at all.
In order to run their trains they rely on other organizations to provide
station facilities, ie the stations at the major capitals.
All the other minor country stations arnt really necessary for GSRs operation
and are only used for passenger purposes simply because they are
there.
Obviously in SA , the prior owner of the stations , namely AN, doesnt
exist anymore,so its quite likely that such stations will fall into
disrepair.
One must wonder also what will happen in Victoria when Vline pass
and Vline freight are privatised.
Who will assume the responsibility and ownership of stations like
Ararat,Stawell,Horsham,Nhill and Kaniva and Serviceton.
Also will stations like Benalla and Wangaratta SG platforms continue to exist?

Obviously Dimboola will remain as its used by the freight operators.
The other major player ARTC , only owns the track , but runs no trains , ie
its an access provider, so it has no interest in owning stations as they dont
directly generate any revenue.

I must confess I cant see any simple solution to any of this.
If no-one wants to accept responsibility for ownership and maintenance of
little used country rail stations,then it may be the best thing to bulldoze
them .

Maybe Craig could comment on the situation that WCR faces with the stations
beyond Geelong on the Warnambool line.

cheers
MD