Re: A new Era Starts For Victoria's Railways

sthyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au (Stuart Thyer) wrote, and I selectively
quote:

>What about Rail America, Mark?  I spoke to Graeme Claytor when he was in
>Vic last August as he used a Steamrail weekender as a means to inspect
>some of the potential assets.  As he pointed out, it was the only way to
>get around on the system.  He's also a fan.

I've just received an email from a person close to one of the V/Line
tenderers that I thought you might find interesting.

START QUOTE

 I thought I could pass this on to you if you want to do anything with
it.

The hot money is definitely on Freight Victoria being the successful
bidder (Rail America./ Macquarie Bank/ Goninan/ Fluor Daniel) with the
bidding clearly down to two Freight Victoria and ATN and Freight
Victoria's Marinus van Onslen being reported as in meetings all day.
ASR and RDC are definitely out of the race.

An announcement on Monday seems likely at the moment, but of course
things can change and it may yet be ATN.

END QUOTE

My contact doesn't subscribe to aus.rail so wouldn't have read Rod's
post earlier today.

Is anyone running a book <vbg!>

Regards

Yuri