Re: Canberra - Brisbane connection.

M.G.Smith wrote in message <36c3e2dc.0@139.134.5.33>...
>Working for CityRail, I would think that if you booked on the Xplorer and
>then on the XPT to Brisbane, as long as notify the crew (and show your
>ticket to them) they, if necessary, can radio through to the train
>controller, for authorization to hold the connection.

The problem with this is the fact that the XPT turns around pretty quickly
the next nmorning in Brisbane (90 minutes) and any delay in Sydney impacts
on this turnaround. If the train is delayed ex-Brisbane, it will arrive late
into Sydney which, when scheduled for 2135, can make it a very unattractive
and late arrival time. For these reasons, they are rather reluctant to hold
the train for very long.

>(the train would remain in Sydney, as at Strathfield, it would block other
>trains.
>however, it is not guaranteed you get a connection if running very late,
but
>countrylink would put you on the next available service.

And the problem with this is that, because it is not a guaranteed
connection, Countrylink are not obliged to provide you with accommodation,
etc. The next available service is the following morning. The easiest thing
to do is just get the 0650 out of Canberra, arriving Sydney at 1056, then
have just over 5 hours in Sydney.

DaveP