Re: Canberra - Brisbane connection.

Working for CityRail, I would think that if you booked on the Xplorer and
then on the XPT to Brisbane, as long as notify the crew (and show your
ticket to them) they, if necessary, can radio through to the train
controller, for authorization to hold the connection.
(the train would remain in Sydney, as at Strathfield, it would block other
trains.
however, it is not guaranteed you get a connection if running very late, but
countrylink would put you on the next available service.
Good luck,
Michael