Re: ARTC Vic Train Control

In article <796nnb$l64$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: ARTC Vic Train Control
>Date: 2 Feb 1999 11:31:55 GMT

>Tony Gatt (tgatt@eisa.net.au) wrote:
>> That sounds a bit far fetched to me. Why would centrol still exist if it is no
>> longer the train control centre?

>A goods running from Dynon to North Geelong would be under the control of
>Centrol, except for Tottenham to Newport. That's the stupid part.

>If they took over the NE as well, as was stated, Centrol would have to
>contact Adelaide to release the entry to the Apex siding at Kilmore East.

>Cheers
>David

Yes correct, but that happens now .
Centrol is not a single train controller , it is a train control complex
incorporating a number of train controllers,who all sit in separate rooms
with  a bank of telephones and a train graph or a diagram on a
illuminated board or a computer.
Where one controllers territory crosses anothers , which happens when trains
have to cross controller boundaries , each controller seeks permission from
his colleage to gain access for his train.
There is no differance whether his colleage sits in the next room , or in a
room in Adelaide .
They dont physically get up and walk around to the next control room .
For example , the NE controller who operates the SG to Albury will be talking
to West Tower, he will also be talking to his colleage who controls the SG to
Pyreenees Loop,as well as talking to Junee Control, all from the same desk.
It physically doesnt matter a stuff where these people actually  are.

MD