Re: I'm back

Dave Proctor wrote:

> And placing the state at the start of the subject will quickly degenerate
> into farce. Let's look at the ""lost" trains" thread - we have already had
> mention of NR's disappearing near Sydenham, NSW and Sprinter track circuit
> actuators in Victoria. I think there was something in the same thread, in
> reference to DPU's (and how they were used in Sydney) that they were used on
> the North Australia Railway.
>
> So how would we represent this thread? would it be [NSW, VIC, NT] "lost
> trains" - if you are serious, then you need your head read (sorry, but I
> call them as I see them).
>
> Usenet is notorious for drifting all over the place, and particularly
> notorious for people NOT changing the subject when the topic drifts. Posting
> a state in the subject will do nothing more than indicate is it based on a
> certain state when it clearly isn't, and may drive away people from a
> certain post which they *may* have been interested in.

If a thread that covers more than one state, simply don't put a state in the
title. It isn't that hard to do, and then people know that it is a general post.
People who don't change the title when the thread changes are the cause of all
these problems. If you have a newsgroup for each state individually then you
have to start cross posting threads and this becomes even messier and harder to
follow than just having them all on the one newsgroup.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au