Re: [VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

<david@dezzanet.net.au> wrote in message 3862a4df.0@203.26.33.13">news:3862a4df.0@203.26.33.13...

> > In my opinion the Healesville line would be perfect:
>
> 1. It's still attached to the main line;
> 2. Long enough for a day trip, but loops are still in place at Yarra Glen
and Coldstream for shuttle trips;
> 3. It's close to Melbourne, and tourism in the Yarra Valley is booming;
and
> 4. The infrastructure is still in place, such as stations, and loco
servicing facilities at Healesville.

> This would address a number of problems alluded to in Keith's artcle.
Sooner or later Steamrail are going to run out of places to run, and despite
their efforts, the YVTR clearly don't have the resources to run trains on
this line.

> Obviously there would need to be a lot of work done to enable this to
happen, but this is the kind of proposal that needs to be considered now. As
a resident of the Yarra Valley I keep hearing rumours about the locals
wanting to turn the Healesville line into a rail trail.

> I would be interested to hear what others think
>
> Regards
>
> David O'Hare

Hi David
IM(H)O the Healesville line is a bit close to to the City and will
eventually feel the pressure of suburbia,creeping in the back door.
It was unable to take any steam loco heavier than J and so the problems of
up grading infrastructure to carry B,S,X,R etc would be formidable.
Also lots of land would be required for carriage storage and maintenance
etc.
So I think we should throw the Leongatha line in to the hat,it has
turntables at 2 locations ,water supplies at 3 locations,lots of land at
Nyora for building carriage sheds,maintenance facilities and stabling roads.
The line at one time in the last 20 years was able to accommodate R class
and regularly saw X class action in its last years of Vline service so I
think upgrading is not out of the question to carry the whole Steamrail
fleet.
Plus coach loads of tourists go past Nyora daily to Phillip Island and
tourism to Korumburra and Wilson's Prom is considered a growth industry in
the area,which has to help.
Steamrail and Korumburra appear to have a pretty cosy relationship at the
present and the local populations of Leongatha,Korumburra,Loch,and Nyora are
very supportive of the railway both now and historically with many ex
railway employees having risked all in trying to save the trains from the
Libs. A fair bit of talent still lives in the area as far as operational and
infrastructure expertise goes.
I don't think Cranbourne -Lang Lang will go to SG so the direct link to the
rest of the broad gauge system is fairly safe for the moment and FV might
even find work in the area which would help defray costs.
So that's abit more to go on with.
Cheers
Graeme