Re: [VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

James Brook  wrote:
>If anyone here has got Stack Talk, take a look at Keith Findlay's
>article on pages 8 and 9. I believe he makes some very good points about
>the future of rail preservation in Victoria that have many similarities
>to the arguments I was making a few months ago about the limited
>resources and unsustainability of the current level of preservation in
>Victoria. For all those here who were saying why can't we have all the
>locos returned to service, get a copy of Stack Talk December 1999 and
>read that article. I also fully agree with his belief that Steamrail
>needs to become semi-professional and profit driven (but in my opinion,
>only to a certain extent). The only thing I don't agree with is the
>comment, "I believe the days of purely railfan tours are coming to an
>end". I believe that there is room for at least one or two pure railfan
>tours every year, for at least the next few years. I don't want to see a
>return to the "good old days" because that is clearly commercially
>unwise, but I think Steamrail and other groups need to remember where
>they came from and not to forget it. Steamrail and other groups need to
>run some tours every year that are popular with railfans, ie: plenty of
>photo stops and wooden cars if possible.
>
>Note: If you are going to reply to this please read the relevant article
>in Stack Talk December 1999, "Railway Preservation at the Crossroads".

Having just read Keith's article I believe he has made some very valid points. Maybe it's time for Steamrail to start "thinking outside the box" when considering the future.

Steamrail has done a fantastic job in acquiring rollingstock, getting workshop facilities, and retaining infrastructure around the state such as turntables, etc. However, I firmly believe that they need to take the next step and obtain a line to run on exclusively.

In my opinion the Healesville line would be perfect:

1. It's still attached to the main line;
2. Long enough for a day trip, but loops are still in place at Yarra Glen and Coldstream for shuttle trips;
3. It's close to Melbourne, and tourism in the Yarra Valley is booming; and
4. The infrastructure is still in place, such as stations, and loco servicing facilities at Healesville.

This would address a number of problems alluded to in Keith's artcle. Sooner or later Steamrail are going to run out of places to run, and despite their efforts, the YVTR clearly don't have the resources to run trains on this line.

Obviously there would need to be a lot of work done to enable this to happen, but this is the kind of proposal that needs to be considered now. As a resident of the Yarra Valley I keep hearing rumours about the locals wanting to turn the Healesville line into a rail trail.

I would be interested to hear what others think

Regards

David O'Hare